Counseling for teens. Restoring Wellness Counseling in Branson, Missouri provides counseling services for teenagers. Our counseling services can help with the following: academic underachievement and stress, drug use, bullying, anger management, self-harm behavior, suicidal thoughts, setting boundaries, sexual abuse, parent-teenager relationships, sibling rivalry, ADHD, teaching mindfulness, eating disorders, oppositional defiant disorder, anxiety, depression, grieving, social skills, and identity discovery.
For many families and individuals, surviving the teens can be one of the most challenging, intimidating, and frustrating experiences of the human growth process. Most families want the stage of adolescence to be a time of self-discovery, maturity, and a learning experience for their youth.
There are a number of factors that play into an adolescent’s development:
- Egocentrism is when an individual believes that other teenagers and friends are thinking about them and inspecting their every move.
- Cognitive Functioning and Brain Development- Unlike the adult brain, the adolescent years are an important stage of brain development as vital structural changes take place.
- Value and Moral Conflict
- Inferiority- When one feels of no worth or value
- Influence on Conformity in our Society- Body image, media, relationships, economic status, sports, grades, etc… Conformity can put pressure on adolescents to conform to societal standards.
- Puberty- physical and emotional changes
Adolescents have a desire for boundaries and limitations from their caretaker. They may also need help from their caretakers and professionals with the following:
- Avoiding feelings of inferiority
- Handling peer pressure
- Drug Abuse
- Romantic Love
- Overcoming Discouragement
- Sound decision-making
- Handling independence
- Changing hormones and puberty
Having the correct tools can help adolescents and parents survive this challenging stage of human growth. Proper preparation will help families ease their children into the transformation from a child to teenager.
Start talking to your child now about the adolescent years to prepare them for the changes and transformation into pre-adulthood. It is never too late to start talking with your son or daughter, even if they are already a teenager.
Don’t be afraid to use other resources for guidance: youth pastor, counselor, family member, friend, or book. God does a great job of providing Biblical resources, materials, and parenting techniques for utilization during the different stages of development.
If you think your teenager could benefit from counseling call or Contact Us to make an appointment.
Preparing For Adolescence: How to Survive the Coming Years of Change- Dr. James Dobson
Safe People, How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren’t- Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
Boundaries in Dating- Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
The Five Love Languages- Gary Chapman
o Bringing Up Boys- Dr. James Dobson
o The Lily Series- It’s a God Thing! (The Lily Series). Nancy Rue
and Steve Mach
The Body Book
The Buddy Book
The Blurry Rules Book
The Value and Virtue Book
o Your Girl, Raising a Godly Daughter in an Ungodly World-
Nikki Pinkley, LPC